Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich, fresh tasting and different! Fresh or frozen strawberries with the zing of sour cream!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups strawberries, rinsed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Hull berries and place in 3 - 4 qt pan. Coarsely mash with a potatoe masher. Add 1/2 C sugar and stir occasionally over medium high heat till mix begins to bubble - 2-3 minutes.
- Nest pan in bowl of ice water and stir often till cold, 5-10 minutes. Remove pan from ice water.
- Add remaining 1/2 C sugar, sour cream, half and half, vanilla and almond extract to berries; stir till blended. (Mixture will be streaked)
- Pour into an ice cream maker (1 1/2 qt or larger). Freeze according to manufacturers directions till mixture is softly frozen - dasher is hard to turn, or machine stops.
- Spoon out and seve softly frozen or, to schoop, freeze airtight about 3 hrs; store airtight in freezer up to 1 wk.
- PER 1/2 CUP: 235 calories/42% fat, 2.5g prot/11g fat (7g sat), 32g carbo/34mg sodi; 29mg chol
- (Sunset Magaine).
Several hours before, mashed all strawberries, stirred in sugar and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to enhance strawberry flavor. Let sit until sugar is dissolved. Did not cook. Added a teaspoon of vanilla.
I made some lower-fat substitutions (2% milk for half and half and reduced fat sour cream) and was very pleased with this recipe. The "zing" was less than expected; sweet and nicely tart seems more descriptive. I reserved about 1/2 cup of the fresh, chopped strawberries and added them when the mix was soft frozen.