3 hrs 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This is a very sweet, but somehow very light dessert, perfect for eating on a summer evening. If you feel the need of something crunchy, tuiles are a good accompaniment. I actually believe in excess where this dessert is concerned, and so have served it with some chocolate covered strawberries and candied mint leaves and candied lemon and orange rind.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash, hull and slice strawberries.
- 2Sprinkle with lime juice, toss and cover strawberries.
- 3Refrigerate till ready to assemble dessert.
- 4Bring water, sugar and 3 basil leaves to a boil over medium heat; stir until sugar is completely melted and mixture becomes a syrup.
- 5Remove from heat and cool.
- 6Mix teaspoon of confectioner's sugar in just enough water to liquify it.
- 7Dip the four remaining basil leaves in the sugar/water mixture and set on a piece of waxed or parchment paper in the freezer.
- 8Combine cream, milk, sugar and honey in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- 9Bring to just below a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- 10Once the mixture is about to boil, reduce the heat to low.
- 11In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- 12Slowly add about a cup of the cream mixture to the egg yolks, whisking continuously.
- 13When well blended, add the yolk/cream mixture back into the cream in the saucepan, whisking continuously.
- 14Continue whisking over low heat until the mixture becomes 'custardy' enough to coat the back of a spoon without dripping off -- maybe ten minutes.
- 15Pour the custard mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- 16If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour into a non-reactive container and place in freezer for about an hour; when mixture becomes 'slushy' vigorously stir it and return to freezer; repeat until mixture has the consistency of frozen custard (for U.S. cooks--like Carvel).
- 17When ice cream is almost ready, place strawberries in blender.
- 18Remove bay leaves from sugar syrup and add syrup to blender.
- 19Blend strawberries and syrup till smooth.
- 20Distribute strawberry liquid among four dessert bowls.
- 21Using ice cream scoop or two tablespoons, form balls or ovals of ice cream, placing three in each of the four dessert bowls.
- 22Garnish each bowl with one of the glazed basil leaves.
- 23Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Soup With Honey Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.2
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 184.4 mg
- Sodium 59.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 69.7 g
- Protein 5.2 g