Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from Vegcooking.com that my mother received just last week. Since there was a special on strawberries, my mother and I decided to make it, and I did for today. Let me say that I used more strawberries than was called and had trouble making the syrup. In the end, what I got was a slushy sorbet that still ended up tasting good, so I'm sure the sorbet would have been just as good. I suppose there is some one out there who can make a better sorbet than me.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and the water and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until reduced by one-fourth. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a blender, combine the strawberries and the orange juice until smooth. Press through a fine sieve.
- In a large bowl, combine with sugar mixture. Cover and freeze until set.
- Whisk until smooth, freeze for an additional hour, and whisk again. Repeat twice.
- Serve when creamy.
With the exception of using Splenda for the sugar this was made as directed. It made a wonderfully fresh tasting sorbet that came out very well using the ice cream maker. It's quite pretty too. After a quick sample it went into the freezer to hang out until this afternoon. Yum!
I love strawberries and the flavor really come through here! I used frozen strawberries, and didn't have orange juice, so used a little mango. Love it!