Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is a little different from the others. This is my DD favorite cake. I cannot count how many times I have given out the recipe. I like it because you make it up the day before. I have also used a butter cake mix with good results. I have used other brands also. Cooking time does not include overnight refrigeration time.
- 18 ounces pillsbury moist supreme classic yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water (for this cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (for this cake mix)
- 3 eggs (for this cake mix)
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberry soda
- 3 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease bottom of 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray or use shortening and a flour dusting.
- Blend cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl until moistened. Or, make as your cake mix directs if using different cake mix.
- Beat with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Bake cake for 34 to 38 minute Remove from oven and cool.
- Dissolve jello in hot water.
- Add soda to jello mixture.
- When cake has cooled but still warm, poke full of holes with fork. If cake pieces come with fork, just put back on cake.
- Pour jello mixture over cake.
- Let cool completely.
- Mix pudding and milk together until thick. Fold in cool whip.
- Spread on cake.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Everytime I have made this cake it has turned out great! Any bad reviews are stupid. Check your oven your ingrediants! Make sure they are good ingrediants! This one is great! If you do it exactly how it says to do it you won't have a problem if your ingrediants are good!
Have made the original recipe , called poke cake, many many times in different flavors. Have never used soda pop but because we do not like desserts too sweet substitute ginerale and strawberry jello. The ginerale gives it a little "bite". Thanks for a wonderful twist on an old reliable favorite.
Very moist cake that the whole family loved. I used raspberry soda and it worked out great. Thanks for posting.