Recipe by Irmgard
Known in Finnish as Mansikkalumi, this is similar in texture to a mousse. It is quite simple to prepare and very light in texture, making it an excellent finish to a big meal.
Top Review by LilKiwiChicken
I used leaf gelatine & this worked fine. I also put all of the strawberries in the pot & boiled them slightly (my fault for not reading the recipe properly) but this worked fine. The texture is lovely, light and creamy and not really fatty tasting. I thought it was a bit too sweet, but that's just personal preference. I froze the left-overs in a plastic container, and beat them once an hour 3 times. I actually liked this better frozen, it didn't taste so sweet & had a lovely refreshing flavour. Thanks for the recipe.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups crushed strawberries
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 whole strawberries (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup crushed strawberries to the boiling point, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Chill until the mixture begins to set around the edges of the bowl.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and gradually whip in the sugar.
- Fold into the strawberry mixture, then add the remaining crushed strawberries and whipped cream.
- Serve immediately in individual glass dishes and decorate each serving with a whole strawberry.
- Note: This dessert may also be served frozen. Pour the mixture into freezer trays and freeze.