Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Known in Finnish as Mansikkalumi, this is similar in texture to a mousse. It is quite simple to prepare and very light in texture, making it an excellent finish to a big meal.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups crushed strawberries
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 whole strawberries (to garnish)
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and allow to soften for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup crushed strawberries to the boiling point, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Chill until the mixture begins to set around the edges of the bowl.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and gradually whip in the sugar.
- Fold into the strawberry mixture, then add the remaining crushed strawberries and whipped cream.
- Serve immediately in individual glass dishes and decorate each serving with a whole strawberry.
- Note: This dessert may also be served frozen. Pour the mixture into freezer trays and freeze.
I used leaf gelatine & this worked fine. I also put all of the strawberries in the pot & boiled them slightly (my fault for not reading the recipe properly) but this worked fine. The texture is lovely, light and creamy and not really fatty tasting. I thought it was a bit too sweet, but that's just personal preference. I froze the left-overs in a plastic container, and beat them once an hour 3 times. I actually liked this better frozen, it didn't taste so sweet & had a lovely refreshing flavour. Thanks for the recipe.
In converting to metric and having packets in grams I messed up the quantity of gelatine, so this turned out more liquid than I think it was meant to be...*No* fault of the recipe I assure you. If that happens to you, don't sweat it becuase it still disappears almost faster than the eye can behold ! It was a lovely dreamy creamy pink colour and everyone agreed that I should make it often when strawberries are in season. The one slight change I made was to use castor sugar in place of the regular sugar, as it has slightly smaller crystals and disolves well. Of my strawberry recipes so far, this one was voted the favourite. Please see my ratings system: this recipe gets an excellently deserved four stars. Thanks for sharing it :)