Recipe by Twiggyann
Since there are only two of us in the house (well only 2 humans), I don't like to make desserts because there's SO MUCH. So when I came across this recipe I had to try it. It was delicious and the portions were just perfect for us. From Cooking For Two 2009, America's Test Kitchen
- 158.51 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 0.59 ml salt
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 29.58 ml half-and-half
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 473.18 ml fresh strawberries, hulled
- 24.64 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml heavy cream, chilled
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- For the shortcakes, use first 8 ingredients: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees with the rack in the middle position. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, mix the flour, 5 teaspoons of sugar, the baking powder, and salt until combined (about 3 pulses) then add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal (about 15 pulses).
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Whisk the half-and-half and the whole egg together then mix into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until large clumps form. The recipe indicates that using regular milk is ok but not as rich as the half-and-half and that using heavy cream makes the cakes too dense.
- Turn the mixture onto a floured board and shape the dough into two circles about 2-1/2 inches in diameter and about 1 inch thick.
- Brush the tops with the egg white. Then sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, turning the pan halfway through cooking.
- Cool on wire wrack.
- For the fruit use the next 2 ingredients: Crush 3/4 cup (about 3.75 ounces) of the strawberries with a potato masher in a medium bowl. Slice the remaining strawberries and fold them into the crushed berries, along with the sugar. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- For the whipped cream use the last 3 ingredients:.
- Whip the cream, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium spead until frothy -- about 1 minute. Then turn to high and whip to soft peaks, 1-3 minutes. Of course, store bought whipped cream will work, too.
- To serve: Slice the shortcake horizontally. Place some of the strawberries on the bottom half, put a dollop or two of whipped cream on the strawberries and top with the other half of the short cake.