Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
There's good reason this dessert is a classic - tart/sweet fresh fruit, billowy whipped cream and not-too-sweet shortcake biscuit base. Perfection! This version rocks!
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved if large
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons well-chilled butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 2⁄3-1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups well-chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine berries, sugar and orange zest in medium bowl.
- Crush some of berries into sugar using back of wooden spoon.
- Let stand at room temperature until syrup forms, stirring occasionally, at least 1 hour.
- Chill while making biscuits.
- For biscuits: Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Butter baking sheet.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Rub in butter with fingertips until coarse meal forms.
- Mix 2/3s cup buttermilk, yolk, ½ tsp vanilla and almond extract in measuring cup.
- Dribble buttermilk into flour mixture, working it all the time, until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer dough to floured sheet of wax paper.
- Using floured fingertips, gently pat dough out to thickness of ¾ inch.
- Cut into 3 – 3 ¼ inch rounds, using fluted cutter or glass.
- Transfer to prepared sheet.
- Gather dough scraps and reroll.
- Cut additional biscuits.
- Brush tops with cream.
- Top with almonds and sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar.
- Bake until biscuits are light golden-brown, 11-14 minutes.
- Cool on rack 3 minutes.
- Whip 1 ¼ cups cream with icing sugar and vanilla to soft peaks.
- Halve warm biscuits horizontally, using serrated knife.
- Arrange bottoms on plates.
- Ladle berries and juices over.
- Spoon some of whipped cream over.
- Replace tops and serve immediately, passing remaining cream separately.
Best shortcake recipe ever! I don't follow the instructions for the berries or cream as I prefer to omit zest and I like my cream sweeter, but the biscuit is absolutely heavenly. You can substitute regular flour for white whole wheat and it still tastes great. This is the only shortcake recipe I use now. Thank you for submitting this fabulous recipe.
Thank you so much for this fabulous recipe evelyn! I made this for easter and it was a big hit. The strawberries were just perfect and the shortcakes were tender and flavorfull. I will be making this again and again.
Thank you so much Evelyn/athens for posting this incredible recipe. The shortcake was crisp and tender, flavorful and moist. I omitted the almonds because of DH's allergy and used lemon zest instead of orange. We enjoyed this recipe very much. It certainly does rock