1/3 Photos of Strawberry Shortcake With Buttermilk Biscuits
1 hr 25 mins
Instead of shortcake or angel food cake, this delicious recipe calls for buttermilk biscuits. I believe this recipe originally came from a Bon Apetit magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chilled buttermilk
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2Biscuits: Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- 3Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- 4Gradually add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork until large moist clumps form.
- 5Gather the dought into a ball. Divide it into 4 pieces. Shape each piece into a 3-inch round. Transfer the rounds to a baking sheet, spacing them evenly.
- 6Bake the biscuits until a tester inserted into the centre comes out dry (about 20 minutes) - the biscuits will be pale. Transfer the biscuits to a rack and cool until they are lukewarm. (The biscuits can be prepared 6 hours ahead; cool, wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and store at room temperature; before serving, reheat the biscuits in a 350 F oven for 5 minutes).
- 7Strawberry Filling: Combine the strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and raspberry preserves in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Let the strawberries stand for about one hour until a syrup forms, tossing occasionally.
- 8Whipped Cream: Beat the chilled whipping cream, vanilla extract, and remaining 3 tbsp of sugar in another large bowl until stiff peaks form. (The whipped cream can be made 6 hours ahead; cover separately and chill).
- 9Assemble: Cut the buttermilk biscuits in half. Place each biscuit bottom in a shallow bowl. Top each generously with strawberries and whipped cream. Cover the fruit and cream with the biscuit tops. Dust the biscuits with powdered sugar and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Shortcake With Buttermilk Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 942.7
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.5 g
- Saturated Fat 32.3 g
- Cholesterol 159.6 mg
- Sodium 552.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 11.0 g