Recipe by Lumberjackie
Instead of shortcake or angel food cake, this delicious recipe calls for buttermilk biscuits. I believe this recipe originally came from a Bon Apetit magazine.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chilled buttermilk
- 2 lbs baskets strawberries (about 7 cups hulled and halved, or quartered, if very large)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Biscuits: Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Gradually add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork until large moist clumps form.
- Gather the dought into a ball. Divide it into 4 pieces. Shape each piece into a 3-inch round. Transfer the rounds to a baking sheet, spacing them evenly.
- Bake the biscuits until a tester inserted into the centre comes out dry (about 20 minutes) - the biscuits will be pale. Transfer the biscuits to a rack and cool until they are lukewarm. (The biscuits can be prepared 6 hours ahead; cool, wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and store at room temperature; before serving, reheat the biscuits in a 350 F oven for 5 minutes).
- Strawberry Filling: Combine the strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and raspberry preserves in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Let the strawberries stand for about one hour until a syrup forms, tossing occasionally.
- Whipped Cream: Beat the chilled whipping cream, vanilla extract, and remaining 3 tbsp of sugar in another large bowl until stiff peaks form. (The whipped cream can be made 6 hours ahead; cover separately and chill).
- Assemble: Cut the buttermilk biscuits in half. Place each biscuit bottom in a shallow bowl. Top each generously with strawberries and whipped cream. Cover the fruit and cream with the biscuit tops. Dust the biscuits with powdered sugar and serve.