Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Can't be summer without this strawberry treat! Tip: the berries with be juicier if sprinkled with sugar and left to sit for one hour before layering on the shortcake. Use a strawberry glaze also if desired!
Top Review by miraclelove77
these were GINORMOUS!!! I would say you could even make them smaller and do a dozen or more of them from one batch! I guess I didn't realize that they really would expand a lot. haha. but these were delicious and i will definitely stick with this recipe. very light, flaky, and buttery!
- 6 -7 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups chilled whipping cream
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and hull the strawberries; drain.
- Place the berries in a large bowl, and sprinkle with sugar, cover and refrigerate (1 hour preferably).
- Prepare the shortcake.
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar (if you prefer your shortcake less sweet, just use 1/2 cup sugar), baking powder and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the cold butter until particles are the size of small peas.
- Stir in egg, milk and extract (if using); mix ONLY to combine (same method as for making biscuits).
- On a lightly floured surface, gather up 1/2 cup dough per biscuit.
- Pat dough into 8 (4-inch) rounds.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown; cool slightly (can fill with the whipped cream and strawberries when cake is still warm (it is actually the best this way!).
- In a bowl, beat the whipping cream (can use more than the 3 cups of whipping cream if desired, just increase the sugar a little) with 4 tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, split the baked shortcakes into halves.
- Ladle strawberries in the middle and on top of the shortcake.
- Top with whipped cream.