Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Can't be summer without this strawberry treat! Tip: the berries with be juicier if sprinkled with sugar and left to sit for one hour before layering on the shortcake. Use a strawberry glaze also if desired!
- 6 -7 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups chilled whipping cream
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half cream
- Wash and hull the strawberries; drain.
- Place the berries in a large bowl, and sprinkle with sugar, cover and refrigerate (1 hour preferably).
- Prepare the shortcake.
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar (if you prefer your shortcake less sweet, just use 1/2 cup sugar), baking powder and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the cold butter until particles are the size of small peas.
- Stir in egg, milk and extract (if using); mix ONLY to combine (same method as for making biscuits).
- On a lightly floured surface, gather up 1/2 cup dough per biscuit.
- Pat dough into 8 (4-inch) rounds.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown; cool slightly (can fill with the whipped cream and strawberries when cake is still warm (it is actually the best this way!).
- In a bowl, beat the whipping cream (can use more than the 3 cups of whipping cream if desired, just increase the sugar a little) with 4 tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, split the baked shortcakes into halves.
- Ladle strawberries in the middle and on top of the shortcake.
- Top with whipped cream.
these were GINORMOUS!!! I would say you could even make them smaller and do a dozen or more of them from one batch! I guess I didn't realize that they really would expand a lot. haha. but these were delicious and i will definitely stick with this recipe. very light, flaky, and buttery!
Thank you so much for the recipe. The instructions are very clear, and the results are delicious! The only thing I didn't have was the almond extract. I will definitely make this again many times. Thank you.
These were wonderful. I had some frozen strawberries in the freezer I had to use up and found this recipe and was glad I did. Thanks for a great dessert!