Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These muffins are delicious. You can use other types of berries other than the strawberries. ***note, I'm not responsible for the taste of the muffins if one substitutes oil for the butter.
- Heat oven to 425°; grease 12 muffin cups.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; stir in the milk, egg and butter, stirring only enough to dampen all the flour, the batter should not be smooth.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Press strawberry slices into the batter, pointed side up; sprinkle each muffin with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake until golden, 15-18 minutes.
These muffins are very unique! I was afraid they wouldn't be sweet enough for me, but they were just perfect. The sugar sprinkled over the top gave them a crunchy, sweet topping that really completed the experience, and the strawberries poking out of the top made them very attractive. I think I overfilled them a little bit. It looked like they were 2/3 full, but I only ended up with 9, and after I pushed the strawberries into the batter they were overflowing their tops! But that doesn't bother me, because I still have 9 huge, delicious muffins to enjoy. Thanks for another keep, Jude!
I loved how easy it was to make this recipe. I used Ener-G Egg Replacer in place of the egg since my son is allergic. I always love finding recipes that work with that! I agree with the other posts about needing more sugar. My husband usually doesn't like things really sweet, so I didn't really add more sugar expect making it a heaping 1/4 cup mixed in instead of a level 1/4 cup. However, he said it tasted kind of bland. I'll definitely make it again but add more sugar. We enjoyed ours with strawberries and blueberries and whipped cream on top! :-)