Prep 6 hrs 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A local steakhouse used to serve a strawberry dessert that I just loved, but unfortunately they closed. I just found this recipe and think it may be the strawberry dessert like they used to serve. It was always served chilled and the strawberries seemed to be slightly frozen. I'm hoping this is the same recipe!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed, drained and sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh strawberries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, applesauce, egg whites and egg; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13x9x2 dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in strawberries. Using a sharp knife, make a diamond pattern in the top of the hot cake; immediately pour gelatin mixture over cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Spread with whipped topping. Garnish with fresh strawberries.