1/1 Photo of Strawberry Shortcake Cups
Adapted from familyfun.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest (my addition)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1Note: I think this could be prepared in mini-muffin tins. fyi.
- 2Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a metal mixing bowl and electric mixer beaters in the freezer.
- 3Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
- 4In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- 5Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture.
- 6Add the milk and stir until well combined. I needed to add about one more tablespoon milk to the dough.
- 7Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 8Divide the dough into 12 balls.
- 9Lightly flour the balls and place in a wax paper-lined tortilla press and press to 4 1/2" in diameter. If the dough is still too sticky, lightly flour the waxed paper. Note: Original recipe has you using a rolling pin, rolling the dough out to 1/4" thickness and cutting out rounds with a drinking glass. Using the tortilla press was much easier for both adult and child.
- 10Place each flattened round in the buttered muffin tin. The dough should line the cup and come up to the brim. Original recipes says to crimp the edges but I skipped that part.
- 11Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are light brown. Let cool in the pan before removing to a plate.
- 12Meanwhile, prepare the strawberries. Wash and hull the berries and cut them up into either slices or small pieces (small pieces for our toddler). Toss with the sugar and set aside.
- 13To whip the cream, pour the whipping cream into a chilled mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until soft peaks form; approximately 2-3 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat for another 30 seconds.
- 14Assembling the cups: Fill each cup with a spoonful of whipped cream and top with a spoonful of the strawberries.
- 15Preparation time may take longer depending on the age of the child.
Browse Our Top Strawberry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Shortcake Cups
Serving Size: 1 (1171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.4
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.3 mg
- Sodium 223.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g