Recipe by COOKGIRl
Adapted from familyfun.com.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
These shortcake cups are so easy to make and really delish. I took the advice of another reviewer and docked the pastry. I cheated a bit and used refrigerated real whipped cream. : ) Will definitely make these tasty treats again soon.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest (my addition)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 pint strawberry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (we liked it with the almond extract) or 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (we liked it with the almond extract)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: I think this could be prepared in mini-muffin tins. fyi.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a metal mixing bowl and electric mixer beaters in the freezer.
- Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture.
- Add the milk and stir until well combined. I needed to add about one more tablespoon milk to the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls.
- Lightly flour the balls and place in a wax paper-lined tortilla press and press to 4 1/2" in diameter. If the dough is still too sticky, lightly flour the waxed paper. Note: Original recipe has you using a rolling pin, rolling the dough out to 1/4" thickness and cutting out rounds with a drinking glass. Using the tortilla press was much easier for both adult and child.
- Place each flattened round in the buttered muffin tin. The dough should line the cup and come up to the brim. Original recipes says to crimp the edges but I skipped that part.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are light brown. Let cool in the pan before removing to a plate.
- Meanwhile, prepare the strawberries. Wash and hull the berries and cut them up into either slices or small pieces (small pieces for our toddler). Toss with the sugar and set aside.
- To whip the cream, pour the whipping cream into a chilled mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until soft peaks form; approximately 2-3 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Assembling the cups: Fill each cup with a spoonful of whipped cream and top with a spoonful of the strawberries.
- Preparation time may take longer depending on the age of the child.