Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Need an innovative way to use strawberries? Combine two great foods: muffins and crumb cake! Each muffin is like an individual strawberry crumb cake with all the flavor and less hassle.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup strawberry, washed, dried, and quartered
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 425°F Grease and flour a muffin pan.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In another small bowl combine the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla, and beaten egg. Stir into the flour mixture just until combined. It will be lumpy. Do not overmix!
- Divide batter evenly into each muffin cup. Gently insert the strawberry slices vertically into the batter. Set aside.
- To make the crumb mixture, whisk together the butter, sugars, and cinnamon until smooth in another bowl. It will look like batter until you add all the flour, so don't panic!
- Stir in the flour with a whisk, then stir with a fork to create the crumbly texture. Add more flour as needed to create the correct crumb size.
- Sprinkle on to muffin tops - crumb topping will dry up and crisp in the oven.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until the crumb topping is browned, and a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean with only moist crumbs.