Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe comes from The Pioneer Woman. This is a pretty sweet, rich cake that is strawberry shortcake in the form of a cake, with cream cheese icing. The cake has a dense crumb and reminds me of a pound cake. Oh - my picture is a 9-inch cake from a springform pan...the picture just got stretched a bit! I recommend using an 8-inch springform pan though, so the cake layers will be a perfect size. NOTE: The recipe is as PW wrote it. However, I recommend cutting the butter in the frosting by half, and just using 1/2 cup (or one stick). It will be more like a regular cream cheese frosting that way.
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb strawberry
For the icing
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Stem strawberries and slice them in half from bottom to top. Place them in a bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir together and let sit for 30 minutes. We'll come back to these. In the meantime, make the cake.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Cream 9 tablespoons butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well each time.
- Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just barely combined.
- Pour into greased and floured 8-inch cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep (a springform pan works great).
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Remove from cake pan as soon as you pull it out of the oven, and place on a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.
- After they have sat for 30 minutes (or more), mash the strawberries with a fork in two batches. Sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon sugar and allow to sit for another 30 minutes.
- To make the icing: combine cream cheese, butter, sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, and dash of salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until very light and fluffy.
- Slice cake in half through the middle. Spread strawberries evenly over each half (cake halves cut-side up), pouring on all the juices. Place cake halves into the freezer for five minutes, to make icing easier.
- Remove from freezer. Spread icing over the top of the strawberries on the bottom layer. Place the second layer on top.
- Add the remaining icing to the top and around the sides, spreading evenly.
- Leave plain or garnish with strawberry halves.
- Cake is best when served slightly cool. The butter content in the icing will cause it to soften at room temperature (this is if you use two sticks).
- Store in the fridge!