Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was shared by Treebeard's Restaurant in Houston. It's not difficult to make, looks beautiful and tastes out of this world! Prep time includes chilling time.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 quart ripe strawberry, washed,hulled and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees; grease a cookie sheet.
- To make Shortcake, with knife blade attachment on food processor, process flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, butter and 2 teaspoons granulated sugar until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour mixture into medium bowl.
- With wooden spoon of paddle attachment on electric mixer, add milk and mix just until it forms a smooth dough.
- Scoop dough onto cookie sheet in 6 equal mounds.
- Dust top of shortcakes with remaining 2 teaspoons granulated sugar.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; transfer to wire rack and cool.
- To make Filling, in a medium bowl, mash one-half of berries.
- Mix with granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- To make Whipped Cream, in a chilled mixing bowl, beat cream with confectioners' sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla until it just holds soft peaks.
- Add sour cream; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cut off tops of shortcakes; set aside.
- Spoon Filling onto bottom of each shortcake.
- Cover with Whipped Cream and remaining sliced strawberries; replace tops.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream, a strawberry half and a sprig of mint.
PanNan, this recipe was so much fun to make! Your directions were simple to follow and I had excellent results! From the shortcake to the whipped cream, every bite was a taste treat! This shortacke has a nice sweetness to it that other shortcakes seem to miss. The strawberry filling w/ the added vanilla extract was sensational! The whipping cream with the added, not only confectioner's sugar, but also sour cream was incredible! This is a dessert that would definitely be considered "Company Worthy" in my book! Thank you so much PanNan, for bringing this wonderful recipe to Zaar!
This recipe is a winner! I only changed the method of preparation, not the ingredients. I put all the dry ingredients directly into my sifter, and sifted them once into the bowl to make the shortcakes lighter. I cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender (didn't want to drag out the heavy mixer) until the mixture resembled coarse meal. Then I added the milk and mixed the dough with a butter knife (this keeps you from over handling the dough). I followed the filling part of the recipe exactly and added canned whipped topping instead of the whipped cream in the recipe. They turned out delicious!
This recipe was amazing. I don't use sour cream, so I substituted plain Greek yogurt in the whipped cream. I will be making this for guests. Thank you so much for sharing!