Top Review by OCMom1
I found this while hunting for a recipe to whip up the shortcake to go with some fresh black berries and coolwhip. This did the trick. It was simple to through together and get baking while we ate dinner. The end result was a nicely textured, light and nice traditional flavor without being dry.
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- nonstick spray coating
- 2 cups frozen fat-free whipped dessert topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine slices strawberries and the 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Cover; let stand in refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, the 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg and buttermilk.
- Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring until combined.
- Spray an 8 x 1 1/2 inch round baking pan with nonstick coating.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough unto pan.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; serve warm (or cool completely).
- Split shortcake horizontally.
- Place the bottom layer on a serving plate.
- Top with the sliced berries and some of the topping; add the second layer of shortcake.
- Spoon remaining topping on shortcake.