Top Review by cmr1120
This was a decent cake. I chose to make this one because it didn't require eggs since my son is allergic to eggs. It was enjoyed by all, but I did taste the aftertaste mentioned in another comment. It was still drier than I like (although I'm finding that's typical for this kind of cake), but it worked for what I was looking for. My only complaint about making it was that the batter was really sticky making it really hard to spread in the pans.
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the strawberries with 1 cup (250 ml) sugar in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl combine the 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend in the butter.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Grease two 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans and divide the batter between them.
- Bake in a preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Place one cake upside-down on a serving platter and top with half the strawberries.
- Top with the remaining cake layer and the rest of the strawberries.
- Serve garnished with whipped cream.