Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
- Toss the strawberries with 1 cup (250 ml) sugar in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl combine the 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend in the butter.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Grease two 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans and divide the batter between them.
- Bake in a preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Place one cake upside-down on a serving platter and top with half the strawberries.
- Top with the remaining cake layer and the rest of the strawberries.
- Serve garnished with whipped cream.
This was a decent cake. I chose to make this one because it didn't require eggs since my son is allergic to eggs. It was enjoyed by all, but I did taste the aftertaste mentioned in another comment. It was still drier than I like (although I'm finding that's typical for this kind of cake), but it worked for what I was looking for. My only complaint about making it was that the batter was really sticky making it really hard to spread in the pans.
We made this last night, only using frozen strawberries. I liked how the cake turned out, mine usually get crumbly and hard. This cake stayed nice and soft. My family had mixed reviews, DS didn't care for the cake he said it had a funny aftertaste. The rest of us however, loved it and want it again. Thank you for sharing this with us.
OK I am a confessed chocoholic - but I little bit of chocolate syrup will improve both the taste and display of this already amazing dessert.