Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is another recipe that has been passed down through my family. We always serve it warm with strawberries and milk on top. So yummy!!!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 quart strawberry
- sugar, as needed
- Slice strawberries and sugar to sweeten.
- Cover and chill until serving shortcake.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add shortening and mix, add milk to egg (beat) add slowly to make soft dough.
- Spread dough evenly in a greased 9" round cake pan.
- Bake at 425* for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve warm with strawberries and milk on top.
The family and I enjoyed this shortcake! I used a lrg scoop and the batter made 15 small biscuits. Will use this recipe from now on, Thanks!
this was a really nice, light shortcake. VERY moist-almost spongy. my mom's is always soo dry. i couldn't believe how little time it took to make. (10 minutes prep.- 10 minutes cooking!) a great recipe for surprise company. the only change i'd make is to double the sugar. i'm sure at only 2 tbsp sugar total it won't be too sweet! and there will definately be a next time!!!
This is a great recipe! I converted it to a gluten-free recipe and added 1 tsp of xanthan gum. I scooped mounds of dough using an ice cream scooper onto a greased cookie sheet and baked at 350 for 15 minutes. It made 9 short cakes. Yummy!