Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dessert looks so gorgeous you won't want to slice it! Tastes just as good though. Great to take along to BBQs & gatherings.
- 60 g butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pint strawberry, cut in half
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- cream, to serve
- cinnamon, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line& grease a round 20cm sandwich tin.
- Beat butter& sugar until light & fluffy, then add egg yolks & flour and beat well.
- Press mixture into the base of the tin.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes or until golden & firm.
- Allow to cool slightly, remove from tin & cool completely.
- Arrange strawberries over the surface, starting with an outside circle & working inwards with more circles, until cake is covered.
- Combine jam & water in a saucepan& heat until liquid thickens.
- Strain, then brush over strawberries& refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve with whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon.
I only did the shortcake part (used other recipes for the strawberries and cream); it was rich and yummy. I keep trying to find a shortcake recipe to please DH; he likes the spongey kind, but this was a dense, rich biscuit. Yet, he really LIKED it! And had seconds.