Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
An outstanding traditional dessert!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (heaping)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Strawberry Sauce for Shortcake
- 1 quart fresh strawberries or 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- TO MAKE SHORTCAKE:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together. Add shortening and mix with fingers until crumbled and mealy. Stir in buttermilk to make a semi-stiff dough. Divide in half.
- Place half in a buttered and floured 8-inch cake pan. Press dough into bottom of pan. Butter the top of the dough and place the other half of the dough on top. Press dough flat again.
- Bake for 15 minutes and lower heat to 325 degrees. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer. Remove from pan and cool on a rack for an hour. Split layers in 2.
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:.
- Bring the berries, sugar, and water to a boil. Stir in, carefully, the cornstarch mixture and boil until thick. Remove and chill in refrigerator until cold.
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:.
- Whisk ingredients together until soft peaks are formed.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:.
- Place bottom layer of shortcake on a decorative cake plate. Pour a third of the strawberry sauce on top of the bottom layer. Spread a third of the whipped cream over the sauce. Place the second layer of shortcake on top. Add a third of the sauce on top of the 2nd layer. Pipe whipped cream on top in a decorative fashion. Top with remaining sauce and garnish with fresh strawberries.