Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberries! Yummy!!!
- 1 quart strawberry, sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened and divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Combine sliced strawberries and 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar; stir gently, and chill 1 to 2 hours. Drain.
- Butter 2 9-inch round cake pans with 1/2 tbls. butter each; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl; cut in remaining butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine milk and egg yolks; beat well. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork until a soft dough forms. Pat dough out evenly into cake pans. (Dough will be sticky).
- Beat egg whites ( at room temp) until stiff but not dry. Brush surface of dough with beaten egg whites; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup sugar. bake at 450F for 8-10 minutes or until layers are golden brown. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Layers will be thin.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread half of whipped cream over layer, and arrange half of sliced strawberries on top. Repeat procedure with remaining layer, whipped cream, and strawberries, reserving a small amount of whipped cream. Garnish top of cake with remaining whipped cream and whole berries.