Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Cake mix, Cool Whip, and strawberries... it can't get any easier than this. (Any vanilla-flavored cake mix can be used, or try a chocolate flavor for an even sweeter treat.)
- 1 (18 ounce) package French vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and sugar two 9" cake round pans.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, and butter. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on serving plate. Top with half of the Cool Whip. Arrange 3/4 of the strawberries on the Cool Whip.
- Carefully place second cake layer on strawberries. Cover cake with 1/4 of the remaining Cool Whip. Arrange remaining strawberries. Top with the last of the Cool Whip in a dollop.
- Garnish with a whole strawberry and mint leaves, if desired.
I have made this recipe many many times and it is always a hit. The secret is the French Vanilla cake; that combined with the Cool Whip is outstanding flavor! Note: I do not use the butter--I just make the mix as directed. My kids call it my Strawberry Shortcut Cake! Just beware that the Cool Whip does not stand up well in the heat! Try this--you won't be disappointed.