Recipe by Bec
If you've never gone out and picked fresh strawberries at a U-pick farm, you're missing out! From the June 2005 issue of Gourmet.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs strawberries, trimmed and quartered (7 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (rounded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon milk (for brushing biscuits) or 1 tablespoon cream (for brushing biscuits)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the strawberries: Toss strawberries with granulated sugar in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
- Gently press strawberries with potato masher to help release their juices, being careful not to crush them to a pulp.
- Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Beat together heavy cream, sour cream, confectioner's sugar (to taste), and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until it hold a soft shape (not stiff).
- For the biscuits: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda onto a sheet of wax paper, then sift again into a bowl.
- Blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until a dough just forms (dough will be moist).
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead gently 6 times.
- Pat out dough on a floured surface with floured hands, reflouring surface if necessary, into an 8"x5" rectangle.
- Cut rectangle in half lengthwise, then into thirds crosswise to form 6 (2 1/2 inch) squares, flouring knife between cuts.
- Transfer biscuits with a metal spatula to an ungreased baking sheet, arranging them 2 inches apart, and brush tops with milk or cream.
- Bake until pale golden, 12 to 15 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool to room temperature.
- When ready, split biscuits horizonally with a fork and arrange 2 halves, split sides up, on each of 6 plates.
- Top with strawberries and juice, then with whipped cream.