Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
A local deli had a variation of these cookies that everyone raved about. While I haven't ever tried one, My friend had one with her lunch and I decided to give it a shot at making them. Everyone said they were better than the original! You can easily change the fruit topping or whipped cream/pudding mix to your liking
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 lbs strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Clean and cut strawberries in slices, cover and place in fridge so they can make their own syrup while baking add a tablespoon of sugar to help. (optional).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, use a nonstick pan, or use cooking spray. (For quicker cooking, I use two cookie sheets).
- Mix butter and powdered sugar in stand mixer. (Or hand mixer).
- Once butter and powdered sugar is fluffy, mix vanilla until evenly combined.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour and baking powder and slowly add to butter/powdered sugar mixture. (Use low speeds and do not over-mix).
- Form two balls of dough and place in fridge wrapped in plastic wrap and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once dough is chilled and firm (about 30 mins) remove one ball of dough and roll on floured surface and use cookie cutter, or you can roll into a log and cut slices. Transfer to cookie sheet, then repeat with second ball of dough.
- Bake for 9-12 mins or until edges are golden. If the whole cookie is golden or brown it will turn out too crunchy. These cookies are best on the soft side.
- While cookies are cooling, mix instant vanilla pudding and milk in a bowl. As pudding sets (5 mins) use stand or hand mixer to whip the whipping cream and sugar. (optional since pudding adds sweetness). Once stiff peaks form, fold into pudding with rubber spatula.
- Spoon pudding mix onto cookies to make it look like a thick layer of icing, then place a slice or two of strawberries on each cookie.
- Experiment with the flavors! You can do cheesecake pudding with fresh raspberries or blueberry pie filling, or even banana creme pudding with fresh banana slices on top.