Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
Instead of using a rolling pin to make the flaky pastry for the bars, use a grater. Chill the dough, grate it into a baking dish, and top it lightly with raspberry preserves and more grated dough before baking it.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar at low speed until combined.
- Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until a soft dough forms. Halve the dough and form into logs.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter an 8 x 11-inch glass baking dish.
- Working over the baking dish, coarsely shred 1 log of dough on the large holes of a box grater, evenly distributing the dough in the baking dish- Do not pat or press the dough.
- Using a spoon, dollop the preserves over the dough and gently spread it in an even layer.
- Grate the second log of dough on top.
- Using a rubber spatula, tuck in any shreds of dough sticking to the sides of the baking dish to prevent them from burning.
- Bake the shortbread on the bottom rack of the oven for about 35 minutes, covering it with foil halfway through baking.
- The shortbread is done when the pastry is golden all over.
- Let cool completely, then cut into 24 bars.
- Dust the tops with confectioner's sugar and serve.