Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Many people think shortbread is for Christmas, but this fruity version proves the opposite. In fact, these little treats add a burst of springtime to the sweet or ladies luncheon trays.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup instant dissolving fruit sugar or 1⁄3 cup berry sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- In bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and salt. Stir in flour.
- Between waxed paper, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using 2 or 3-inch decorative cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Freeze on parchment paper-lined rimless baking sheets for 10 minutes until firm.
- Bake in center of 300°F oven for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch and slightly golden around edges. Transfer to racks; let cool.
- Strain jam through fine sieve into large bowl to remove pieces of strawberry. Beat in icing sugar,1 tablespoon of the milk and food colouring, adding up to 1 teaspoon more milk to make spreadable if necessary.
- Spread glaze over tops of cookies. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Let stand for about 4 hours or until glaze is set.