Recipe by Theresa/ Thunderbird
Whole raspberries can be used or substitute 1/2 cup dried cranberries for the strawberries.
Top Review by Debbwl
A agreeable way to start the day! The strawberries and orange (do not leave out as it is a key component) bring a nice flavor to these not overly sweet scones. Think I would like to try adding just a bit of vanilla and maybe sprinkling a little sugar over the top. Thanks for the wonderful use of fresh strawberries and the post.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and orange peel in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or rub together with fingers until crumbly.
- Stir in the strawberries.
- Gradually stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Gather into a loose ball and knead lightly on a lightly floured surface.
- Pat out into a 7 inch round,about 3/4 inch thick.
- The dough will be sticky.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.