Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Whole raspberries can be used or substitute 1/2 cup dried cranberries for the strawberries.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 4 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and orange peel in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or rub together with fingers until crumbly.
- Stir in the strawberries.
- Gradually stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Gather into a loose ball and knead lightly on a lightly floured surface.
- Pat out into a 7 inch round,about 3/4 inch thick.
- The dough will be sticky.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
A agreeable way to start the day! The strawberries and orange (do not leave out as it is a key component) bring a nice flavor to these not overly sweet scones. Think I would like to try adding just a bit of vanilla and maybe sprinkling a little sugar over the top. Thanks for the wonderful use of fresh strawberries and the post.
These were tasty. Based on reviews from this and other recipes, I drained the diced strawberries on paper towels to reduce any extra moisture. I also added about 1 1/2 tbsp of white sugar to the dough to give it a bit of sweetness. I cut the dough into 6 wedges, and cooked them in my convection oven at 400. They were done perfectly in 17 minutes. Once they cooled, I topped them with the orange glaze from Oat Scones With Orange Glaze. A nice treat for Sunday morning breakfast!
These were really yummy. The orange rind is definitely the best part. I made them exactly as listed and then drizzled an orange flavored glaze on top. Thanks for sharing this recipe! (These scones are really awesome with chopped, fresh peaches instead of strawberries! I omit the rind and make a glaze with confectioners sugar and pureed peaches.)