Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
Think Redwall! I got this off of a Redwall site a while back. I have made them numerous times and they are GOOD! Serve with lashings of whipped cream.
- 1 cup strawberry, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk or 2⁄3 cup cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice strawberries and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter and blend until it is crumbly.This can be done in a food processor to speed things up.
- Stir in strawberries and toss.
- Add milk or cream.
- Mix until it holds together.
- Divide dough in half.
- On floured surface, roll into 2 circles 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut, as for pie, into 6 slices each.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- While scones are baking, whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a cold bowl until stiff.
- Notes: I make the dough in the morning and cut it, put it on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper and freeze it. When I am ready for a cuppa and a scone, I take however many I want out and bake, adding about 3 or 4 minutes to my baking time. I put the rest of the dough in a freezer bag and return it to the freezer. That way, you can always have fresh scones in a jiffy. I also brush them with cream and sprinkle with sugar before baking.