Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This strawberry sauce pairs perfectly with Cheesecake. It makes a great sauce for ice cream. Frozen strawberries work well in this recipe, but if you can find fresh, very ripe berries, by all means, use them instead. Be sure to stir the strawberries gently so that they do not break down completely--large chunks of strawberries are very appealing. You can make this sauce up to 2 days in advance.
- 1 lb frozen strawberries, whole
- 1⁄2 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch table salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine strawberries, jam, sugar, and salt in medium saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until sauce has thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and transfer to medium bowl.
- Cool for 30 minutes, then loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
This was easier than most other recipes I found; I wanted it for topping a chocolate cake. I used homemade strawberry jelly. But next time I would not add sugar; we found it too sweet. And mine never thickened; I stopped cooking it after 10 minutes because the strawberries would have disappeared completely.
This was wonderfully quick and flavorful to top Recipe #176939. I ended up not adding the sugar (saving a few calories!). Thanks for posting, Cucina. Roxygirl