Recipe by AZ Meg
This Strawberry Satin Pie has it all: a smooth custard filling, fresh strawberries, and a delicious glaze, all inside a graham cracker crust (I've also used a traditional crust--whatever you prefer!). Makes 2 pies (trust me, you'll be glad you made a second one!).
- 1 2⁄3 cups strawberry puree
- 2 tablespoons freezer jam pectin (instant)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 4 ounces Cool Whip
- 16 sheets graham crackers, full sheets, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 lbs strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk sugar and pectin together, then add strawberry puree. Stir for 3 minutes. Let sit at room temperature, then store in fridge until ready to use. (This is the recipe for freezer jam, so any glaze you don't use on the pie can be used as such).
- While the glaze is setting, combine sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat; cook and stir until thick and bubbly (air bubbles will pop through surface).
- Stir a little of the hot mixture into the beaten egg to temper. Return to pan. Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap (lay plastic wrap directly on surface of custard to prevent a "skin" from forming). Chill thoroughly in fridge (at least 1-2 hours). Beat well, then stir in the Cool Whip.
- While the custard is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter (I use a food processor). Press crumb mixture onto bottom and sides of 2 pie pans. Bake for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Divide custard equally into 2 cooled pie crusts. Toss sliced strawberries in glaze, then place on tops of both pies (you can plop them right on, or if you have time to make it pretty, arrange sliced strawberries in a circular pattern over entire pie. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.