Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I tried this recipe from The Denver Post this summer when we had house guests and everyone decided that it was definitely a "keeper". Besides being delicious, it makes a very pretty salad!
For the Vinaigrette
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Salad
- 2 heads romaine lettuce or 2 heads spinach, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 pint strawberry, stemmed and quartered
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad, a little at a time (you may not need all of the dressing) and toss to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!
This was excellent -- so good that my boyfriend asked for the recipe! I made a few changes for availability's sake: red wine vinegar instead of balsamic, fresh clementine segments (my grocery store had NO canned mandarins!!?) and almonds (because I knew I wouldn't eat the leftover pecans). A beautiful, super-easy and tasty salad.
This recipe is awesome! I have made it several times for different people and get raving reviews! I add chicken to make it a complete meal. I also use chopped up almonds instead of pecans because that is what I have and it adds just the right crunch!! My two year old picky eater loves to just take the chicken chunks and dip it in the viniagrette. She loves it and goes back for seconds and thirds. Thanks!!
I made this for a Teacher's Luncheon today. I thought the dressing had a lot of flavor right after it was made. I didn't have any ginger, but no matter, since this dressing has an OUTSTANDING flavor! This is now my favorite balsamic dressing. Thanks again, leslie. Roxygirl