Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A refreshingly different salad, we can buy Stilton with black pepper here, but you can use any Stilton or even leave it out if you prefer. I make half the amount of dressing as I find that this is enough. Recipe adapted from Rococo Real Chocolate Book by Chatal Coady.
- 100 g rocket (or any salad leaves)
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- 1⁄4 cup Stilton cheese, with black pepper, crumbled
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 100 g caster sugar
- 25 g dark chocolate, 2 squares, 75% pure
- Divide the rocket between the plates. Slice the cucumber lengthways, seed and slice into halfmoons. Arrange the Stilton, cucumber and strawberries on the rocket. Drizzle dressing on top.
- To make the dressing: Place balsamic vinegar in a saucepan, add caster sugar and dissolve over a gentle heat. Remove from heat and stir in 2 squares of chocolate. Leave to cool at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or dressing will solidify.
Yum! Although I didn't have the ingredients for the salad, I served the dressing over a salad of red leaf lettuce, vanilla poached pears, Asiago cheese, tomatoes and toasted almonds. It was a hit at a chocolate-themed dinner.
This is a great salad but why are some of the measurements in metric and some not? I measured and weighed everything and it is approximately 1/3 c. balsamic and 1/3 c. sugar. The chocolate measures to about 1/4 c. I agree that you only need about 1/2 recipe. Also, I would use a little less chocolate just for the texture--it was a little thick. I really liked the flavors though and will make it again. It was an unusual and elegant salad. I used spinach and feta cheese instead of Stilton. For lunch I just cut up some fresh strawberries and drizzled the dressing over them. Yum.
This was delicious and so VERY easy to make. A great hit for my Valentine's Day special dinner for my honey. I used white balsamic which has a milder flavor and used a delicious blue cheese that has pears in it, made by Rosenborg. It was out of this world!! Thank you!