Recipe by Oolala
From the Junior League in Salt Lake City, Utah. Strawberries, oranges, Romain, sugared pecans and avocado tossed with a zesty citrus dressing. Different from the other strawberry salads. Note: can use mandarin oganges in place of the fresh orange.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup pecan halves
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 8 cups leaves lettuce, torn
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, peeled, sliced
- 1 pint strawberry, cut into halves
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- For the pecans, mix the sugar with the pecans in a small skillet. Cook over low heat until te sugar melts, stirring to coat the pecans well.
- spread on foil and cool, break pecans apart.
- For the dressing, combine the oil, lime juice, orange juice, sugar, lime zest and orange zest in an airtight jar and shake well.
- Chill until serving time.
- For the salad, combine the lettuce, Romaine, onion, oranges, and strawberries in a large bowl and toss gently. Chill until serving time.
- When ready to serve, add avocados to the salad and drizzle with dressing.
- Toss gently and top with pecans.