Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I had this at a picnic. It's a nice combination of greens and fruit.
- 10 cups fresh spinach or 10 cups torn salad greens
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup halved green grape (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin orange segments (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pretzel (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or splenda)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- Mix dressing.
- Tear washed greens into bite sized pieces. Place in salad bowl.
- Toss with dressing.
- Add strawberries, onion and if you desire add the grapes and mandarin oranges.
- Toss lightly. Top with nuts, and sprinkle with seeds and pretzels if you wish.
I've had a number of salads that combine spinach and strawberries and to my thinking this was the best! My sister (who is a Zaar lurker but not a Zaar member) served it for dinner tonight, and since she can't review it I said I would. She substituted blueberries and apples for the mandarin oranges and grapes because that's what she had on hand. She also omitted the retzels. Everything else was the same. The flavors all complemented each other nicely, especially the fresh berries, and the dressing worked perfectly with the salad's contents. A sublime eating experience. I think everyone went back for seconds.