Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sugared almonds and a poppy seed type dressing top this wonderful romaine and fresh strawberry salad.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml sliced almonds or 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce, coarsely cut
- 473.19 ml fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 177.44 ml mayonnaise
- 59.14 ml milk
- 29.58 ml poppy seeds
- 29.58 ml raspberry vinegar
- 78.07 ml sugar
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter, stir in sugar and almonds and cook until golden brown; remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine lettuce, strawberries, onion and the sugared almonds.
- Mix dressing ingredients together and toss with salad.
- Chill for a short time and then serve.
I made this to have when company was coming and it went so nicely with our Clam Casserole. I loved the crunch, sweetness, and overall taste of this salad. Great to have for Valentine's Day too! What better way to say I love you then with a beautiful red and green salad that is delicious and so pretty on the plate!
We absolutely loved this salad! I used a white balsamic rasberry vinegar in the dressing, which was wonderful. I didn't prepare the almonds as instructed in this recipe, as I had made extra the last time I made your Mandarin Salad (#40516) and used those. Most definitely a keeper--thanks for posting!
I loved this! Never had a salad like it before. I used Splenda in place of the sugar in the dressing and I may have waited too long for the almonds to brown because they carmelized and got like a nut brittle when I set it aside in a bowl. I simply chipped pieces off! I used real sugar for the nuts. This salad was simple to prepare and very pretty. The strawberries offset the sweetness of the dressing and nuts and onion added a terrific flavor. Thanks! I will make this next time I have company for brunch!