Recipe by Kathy-Lynn
This is from a Country Cooking magazine I have had for years.
Top Review by karens2kids
This is SO GOOD! I made using fresh strawberries with a little sugar added for sweetness instead of the jam. I chopped them into small pieces and then mashed them and added the sugar. I didn't add the juice to the mix but mixed in the strawberries with the mixture. This gets rave reviews of 5 plus stars each! Yum Yum! Thank you for this recipe Kathy-Lynn!
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup strawberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter and sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add 3/4 cup of the flour; mix slowly just until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Set aside 2/3 cup of the crumb mixture.
- Add eggs, powder, salt, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg to remaining mixture in the bowl; beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining 1 1/4 cups flour 1/2 cup at a time alternating with the buttermilk, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Spread batter in a greased 9x9 square baking pan.
- Drop jam by teaspoons onto the batter; pull knife through the batter to give it a marbled effect.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350F degrees oven until wooden toothpick inserted in centre is withdwarn clean, 30-35 minutes .
- Serve warm.
- Note: If you do not have buttermilk add two tablespoons of vinegar to a 1 cup measure then fill to 1 cup with milk.
- Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.