Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fruity yet creamy!
FOR THE SHORTCAKES
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 7⁄8 cup thickened cream
FOR THE RICOTTA CREAM
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 1⁄2 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
FOR THE FILLING
- 10 1⁄2 ounces medium strawberries, hulled and halved lengthways
- icing sugar, for dusting
- First, make the shortcakes. With an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and beat until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add the cream and beat until the mixture comes together.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a 15cm square about 3cm thick. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Using a 5cm biscuit ring, cut out 9 cakes.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until brown.
- Cool on a cake rack.
- Make the ricotta cream by whipping the thickened cream with the sugar.
- Fold in the ricotta and vanilla.
- Slice each shortcake in half and fill with the strawberries and ricotta cream.
- Dust with icing sugar.