Recipe by Velouria
This recipe came out of my mom's first cookbook, a Family Circle cookbook she bought as a newlywed in 1972. She's been making this wonderful cake ever since. She baked it for my last birthday, and I must say it's still my favorite cake!
For the cake
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks/8 oz.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red food coloring
For the Strawberry Butter Cream
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄3 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 1 (1 lb) package confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake:.
- Grease two baking pans, 8x8x2; dust with flour.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, and salt onto wax paper. Cream butter until soft in a large bowl; beat in sugar gradually until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fluffy again, then flavorings.
- Stir in flour mixture, alternately with milk, just until blended. Spoon half the batter into one pan; stir food coloring into remaining batter; pour into second pan. Bake in moderate oven (375°F) 35 minutes, or until centers spring back when pressed with fingertip. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; turn out onto racks; cool completely.
- Split each cooled layer; put together, alternating pink and yellow, with part of the strawberry butter cream; frost sides and top with remaining.
- For the Strawberry Butter Cream:.
- Blend cream cheese with butter until fluffy in a medium-size bowl; beat in strawberries. Stir in 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the mixture for filling. Beat remaining confectioners' sugar into remaining mixture in bowl for frosting.