Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
The addition of strawberry perserves help reduce the pucker in this cake.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves (not jelly or jam)
- 7 ounces package almond paste
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch spring-form pan.
- To make the topping:.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and add sugar. Stirring constantly, cook until sugar begins to melt and starts to turn a light caramel color.
- Add rhubarb. Stirring, cook for 3 minutes or until syrup starts to thicken.
- Pour rhubarb mixture into bottom of prepared springform pan. Drop rounded teaspoons of preserves evenly around top of rhubarb. Set aside.
- To make the cake:.
- In mixer, beat almond paste and sugar on low speed until the texture of small crumbs.
- Add butter and mix until combined. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and beat until very creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and milk to almond paste mixture. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter on top of fruit. Gently spread batter evenly across top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until cake is done and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Make sure center of cake springs back when pressed with a finger.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake and unmold springform. Tip cake upside-down onto serving plate and carefully lift off bottom of pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.