Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Creamy filling, strawberries and rhubarb - what else could you want in a summery dessert?
- 1 ready-made pie crust
- 20-30 strawberries, husked and washed
- 6-8 stalk fresh rhubarb, washed
- 709.77 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml whipped cream
- 354.88 ml cream cheese, soften in microwave
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 0.19 ml vanilla essence
- First, the fruit:.
- Cut rhubarb into 2inch long pieces and place in a large baking tray with high sides. In the same tray, place your whole, husked strawberries. Cover with all of the sugar and cook for about 20 minutes at 375degrees until both fruits are soft. The strawberries should be soft, but still hold their shape. The rhubarb should fall apart when stirred.
- Carefully take out the strawberries so they don't get damaged, and then pour the rhubarb and juice into a strainer and drain the juices into a sauce pan.
- Put the rhubarb and strawberries in the fridge to cool.
- Place the sauce pan over a high heat and boil until the juice becomes a thick, gooey and lovely syrup, about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally and watch closely. When very thick, pour into a bowl and place in the fridge to finish cooling and thickening.
- Make your filling (while fruit is cooking):.
- Mix your whipped cream, softened cream cheese, sugar and vanilla essence together until soft, sumptious and well-mixed. Mix in the cooled rhubarb and stir well to distribute it evenly through your creamy mixture.
- Finally, assemble (when all the ingredients are cooled and set):.
- Spoon your creamy filling into the pie crust, filling it about half-way up.
- Top with the strawberries however you think looks nice.
- Drizzle the cooled syrup over the strawberries, only just enough to barely cover them. You don't want it to be too gooey.