Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
The crumble topping for this strawberry rhubarb dessert is simple amazing! This is a very forgiving recipe. Add more or less strawberries or rhubarb, double the crumble topping, or try it with other berries. Any way you make it you will be super satisfied! When I bake this, I leave the berries whole and end up with sweet soft chunks of berries in every bite. Yum!!
For the topping
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
- 1 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 quart strawberry, quartered
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare topping: Combine flour, baking powder, sugars and lemon zest and add the melted butter. Mix until small and large clumps form. Refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare filling: Toss rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and a pinch of salt in a deep oven safe dish.
- Remove topping from refrigerator and cover fruit thickly and evenly with topping. Place pie plate on a baking sheet, and bake until crumble topping is golden brown in places and fruit is bubbling beneath, about 40 to 50 minutes.
This was so easy to put together. This was a bit tart for me so next time i might add a bit more sugar. Loved the lemon zest in the topping. Thanks for the recipe.