Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love rhubarb and combining it with sweet strawberries and cool creamy ice cream is a great way to enjoy it! This recipe came from my mom's collection of recipes she clipped from newpapers and magazines.
- 1 lb strawberry
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 4 shortbread cookies (optional, Girl Scout cookies work great!)
- Remove the hulls and stems from the strawberries; cut the strawberries in quarters. Cut the rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Refrigerate the sauce until cool.
- Scoop the ice cream into serving dishes, then top with rhubarb sauce and a shortbread cookie.
This sauce was sweet-tart heaven. My husband took his first taste and simply exclaimed, "oh gosh!" The bowls were empty before I thought about taking a photo. Thanks for posting this recipe.
Made the sauce as given (although I did serve it over frozen vanilla yogurt) & must say that it's absolutely wonderful in every way! Love the sweet-tartness one gets from the combo of these fruits, & now I have a very nice keeper of a recipe! Many thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Made for the Goddesses of ZWT-9 - My best friend here in Iceland grows rhubarb in her garden & shares it w/me ea summer .. & .. We had guests for dinner yesterday who love strawberries & rhubarb w/ice cream. Sounded like fate to me, so I tripled this easy-to-fix recipe & will make more. Rhubarb is very popular here & I will use this sauce in many ways. Served atop shortcake, pound cake & pancakes are ideas that quickly come to mind. It would make good smoothies too. For our guests last night, it was generously ladled over vanilla ice cream & garnished w/a choc cookie. Yum! Our lady guest got a gift jar to take home w/her & she was happy. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. - Edited to Add: New pic & I have hardly begun to explore my options. :-)