Recipe by loof
I love rhubarb and combining it with sweet strawberries and cool creamy ice cream is a great way to enjoy it! This recipe came from my mom's collection of recipes she clipped from newpapers and magazines.
Top Review by Miss Fannie
This sauce was sweet-tart heaven. My husband took his first taste and simply exclaimed, "oh gosh!" The bowls were empty before I thought about taking a photo. Thanks for posting this recipe.
- 1 lb strawberry
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 4 shortbread cookies (optional, Girl Scout cookies work great!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the hulls and stems from the strawberries; cut the strawberries in quarters. Cut the rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Refrigerate the sauce until cool.
- Scoop the ice cream into serving dishes, then top with rhubarb sauce and a shortbread cookie.