Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
One of the best rhubarb muffins! Although I have not tried it as yet, I really do think this would be a good recipe to make as a cake!
Top Review by mybobba1
I liked the flavor very much, but we're on the verge of being we gooey in the middle. I did make more than the 12 , I also made six muffin tops and they were done all the way....I might do more muffin tops next time, I will do again, maybe mini and muffin tops. Good flavor.
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly-packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice, almost to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (not cold, almost room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced fresh rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup diced fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375°F (will reduce heat later).
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners, or sray with non stick cooking spray.
- To make topping: mix the sugar, cinnamon together, cut in the butter to make a crumbly mixture, mix in the finely chopped nuts; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla; stir/whisk to blend well.
- Stir in orange juice and sour cream; mix well to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder; mix well.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the wet mixture to partially combine (do not overmix, the batter should be like a thick cake batter), if still too thick add in some orange juice to loosen.
- Fold in the strawberries and rhubarb carefully not to overmix batter.
- Divide the batter evenly in prepared muffin tins (I use an ice cream scoop for this).
- Sprinkle a generous amount of streusel mix over the batter.
- Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Place the muffins immediately in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins are golden and test done.