Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of the best rhubarb muffins! Although I have not tried it as yet, I really do think this would be a good recipe to make as a cake!
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly-packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice, almost to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (not cold, almost room temperature)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced fresh rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup diced fresh strawberries
- Set oven to 375°F (will reduce heat later).
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners, or sray with non stick cooking spray.
- To make topping: mix the sugar, cinnamon together, cut in the butter to make a crumbly mixture, mix in the finely chopped nuts; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla; stir/whisk to blend well.
- Stir in orange juice and sour cream; mix well to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder; mix well.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the wet mixture to partially combine (do not overmix, the batter should be like a thick cake batter), if still too thick add in some orange juice to loosen.
- Fold in the strawberries and rhubarb carefully not to overmix batter.
- Divide the batter evenly in prepared muffin tins (I use an ice cream scoop for this).
- Sprinkle a generous amount of streusel mix over the batter.
- Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Place the muffins immediately in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins are golden and test done.
I liked the flavor very much, but we're on the verge of being we gooey in the middle. I did make more than the 12 , I also made six muffin tops and they were done all the way....I might do more muffin tops next time, I will do again, maybe mini and muffin tops. Good flavor.
These taste really good but, like another reviewer said, they are way too moist! Luckily I used cupcake liners so the muffins stayed in tact but they were on the verge of falling apart. Also, the topping on mine sort of fell into the middle instead of staying on top.
Wonderful!! Great flavor easy to make. They rolled right out of the pan. I had to make two batches because my kids ate the before I could get out of the house with them.