can't wait for fresh rhubarb in the Spring!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1 " pieces
- 1 1/4 cups strawberry jam or 1 1/4 cups preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon finely grated orange zest (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350*.
- 2Generously grease a 13x9 pan or coat with nonstick spray.
- 3For the filling: in a medium heavy nonreactive saucepan, stir together the sugar and cornstarch till well blended. Stir in the rhubarb, jam or preserves, cinnamon and orange zest, is using. Bring to a simmer, stirring over medium high heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-6 minutes or until rhubarb softens just slightly, fresh rhubarb will take longer than thawed frozen. Set aside. For the crumb mixture; In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter and stir or knead with your hands till the mixture is well blended and crumbly. Firmly press a scant half of the crumb mixture into the baking dish; set aside the remaining crumb mixture. Bake in the middle of the oven for 13-16 minutes or until firm but not browned. Spread the rhubarb filling evenly over the crumb layer.
- 4Stir together the reserved crumb mixture and 2 1/2 tbls of the egg mixture until the streusel forms small clumps; add a little more of the egg mixture if needed.
- 5Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the filling, breaking up any large clumps with a fork or your fingertips.
- 6Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the streusel is nicely browned and the filling is bubbly.
- 7Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until completely cooled.
- 8Using a large sharp knife, cut into 20 bars -- wipe the knife clean between cuts.
- 9Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. The bars may be frozen for up to 1 month, but will lose their crispness.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Bars
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.6
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 28.8 mg
- Sodium 43.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g