Recipe by BrendaM
This sauce is delicious served over angel food or pound cake.
Top Review by DuChick
This sauce rates pretty high from the rhubarb lovers in my family..my DH and DS. They really like the addition of lemon which gave it a zingy edge. Both of them thought it needed more sweetness tho, so I added about 1/4 cup more. They are used to Grandma's rhubarb sauce which is never short of sweet! Thanks BrendaM for a unique recipe!
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped rhubarb (1 inch pieces, fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced strawberry (fresh or frozen unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 -4 drops red food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon peel and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook, uncovered over medium heat until rhubarb is soft (about 10- 15 minutes) Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in strawberries, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Add food colouring if desired.
- Cool and serve over cake, ice cream, waffles, pancakes, etc.