Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This sauce is delicious served over angel food or pound cake.
Make and share this Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon peel and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook, uncovered over medium heat until rhubarb is soft (about 10- 15 minutes) Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in strawberries, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Add food colouring if desired.
- Cool and serve over cake, ice cream, waffles, pancakes, etc.
This sauce rates pretty high from the rhubarb lovers in my family..my DH and DS. They really like the addition of lemon which gave it a zingy edge. Both of them thought it needed more sweetness tho, so I added about 1/4 cup more. They are used to Grandma's rhubarb sauce which is never short of sweet! Thanks BrendaM for a unique recipe!
this is fantastic and so easy. I used fresh rhubarb and fresh strawberries and only substituted a non sugar sweetener as I am making it for a diabetic. It is delicious and the lemon zest makes it wonderful. DId not add the coloring
This recipe certainly deserves to be made by more chefs. I used frozen strawberries, fresh rhubarb, another 1/4c sugar and didn't miss a thickening agent. We loved it warm over yogurt and I plan to use it over pancakes in the morning.