Recipe by Chef Glaucia
This one comes from my Mother-in-Law recipe cards. I have tried it made with only strawberries or peaches and strawberries together. They all turn out very good !!!
Top Review by DuChick
My rhubarb-loving husband really liked this and said it had the perfect sweet/tart ratio. I had a few problems with the recipe: since I'm unable to buy frozen rhubarb around here, I used my own that I froze earlier this summer. I wasn't sure if I should weigh out 16 oz. or measure 2 cups. I ended up measuring 2 cups, but the fruity layer didn't seem very thick, so possibly a 16 oz. bag holds more than 2 cups. ??? Also, the batter mixture was so thick and dense that I needed to add another 1/4 cup milk to make it spoonable. Next time I'd add more rhubarb. MERP'd for Bargain Basement tag game.
- 16 ounces frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400º F.
- In an ungreased 9x9 inches pan, mix strawberry, rhubarb and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Take to the oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Combine oil and milk in a small bowl. Pour it all at once into flour mixture. Stir with a few strokes.
- Spoon batter over the fruit.
- Mix 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.