1/1 Photo of Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Almond Streusel
1 hr 20 mins
Battle in Seattle's Note:
Combining all sorts of ideas, this makes my ideal pie. I can't believe I'm actually sharing the recipe--swore I never would. My husband begs me to make it, and every time I do for company, potlucks, etc.--there's never a scrap left. I'm sure it would make good leftovers. . . Try my All Butter Pie Crust (Pastry) recipe with this one--it holds up very well with the "wet" filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced thick
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 3/4 lb.)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash allspice
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 nine-inch pie crust, unbaked
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Form pie crust in 9-inch pan; refrigerate while preparing the rest of ingredients.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, gently toss strawberries through tapioca, and let rest for five minutes. While resting, prepare streusel.
- 4In a small food processor or with a pastry blender, mix flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and salt. Briefly pulse or blend butter into flour mixture to get pea-sized lumps of butter. Add almonds, and pulse/blend one or two more seconds to slightly break up almonds. Set aside.
- 5Pour pie filling into pie crust; dot with 2 TBS. butter. Sprinkle streusel topping evenly on top of filling.
- 6Place pie on baking sheet and bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Remove pie from oven, reduce temperature to 350 degrees, then wrap crust edge with foil to prevent over-browning. Bake 40-45 minutes more, or until streusel is golden brown and filling has begun to bubble through spots around the middle of pie.
- 7Remove from oven and let cool at least two hours before serving.
- 8(The pie does seem a little "low" when you first assemble, but it puffs/rises towards the end of baking. Don't try to compensate by adding more filling, or you'll have a mess!).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Almond Streusel
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.2
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 239.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 36.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g