Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a sumptuous pie and if you like this combination of fruit as I do, you will love it! I have used this recipe for about 30 years, and it never fails to get compliments. I would also say that I do not use the 450 degree setting and only just use 350 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes but this is my personal preference. The filling can also be used for a cobbler and is very, very good however you choose to use it!
- 1 (8 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- 3 cups rhubarb, sliced in 3/4 inch slices
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare pastry and prebake bottom crust for 8 to 10 minutes until cooked. Mix together well all pie filling ingredients except butter in a large bowl. Pour filling into prebaked bottom pie crust and dot with butter. Top with remaining pastry crust and make air vent slits (you can also do a lattice crust which is very pretty with the rosy juices from the pe).
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes and then, drop temperature to 350 degree and bake another 45 to 60 minutes or until done and crust is nicely browned. Since ovens vary a great deal, it is best to watch your pie carefully the first time you make this to determine how long it will take in your specific over. Enjoy!
I looked through all the Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie recipes and really liked this one. I liked that it had the extra brown sugar and a little cinnamon and nutmeg. It is pie - it should be a little sweet! These pies turned out so pretty. My photo does not do these pies justice. I took the Chef's suggestion and baked them only at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. I covered the pies lightly with foil from preventing the crust from getting to brown at the end of baking. I added a little fresh orange juice to the pies. These pies are delicious. This will be my Strawberry-Rhubarb pie recipe from now on.